It was a total honor getting to have Hector on the show again. Being that he is a 13-time deployed Army Ranger and has an incredible story of having the courage to bring himself up from the depths of despair to where he is today, I thought he was the perfect guest to have on to talk about how to find courage. The show replay is available by clicking the link below or available through Stitcher or iTunes under The Iron Jen Show. Show highlights include:
What prevents us from becoming courageous?
- Most of us think that courage is found through acting brave or tough when in actuality, courage is found through vulnerability.
- Shame is a powerful barrier that prevents us from finding courage. Shame is when we use the words “I am” followed by something negative (i.e. I am worthless, I am weak) compared to guilt which is saying “I did” whatever it is you did. Vulnerability allows us to become equal with others which allows us to share.
- Vulnerability and shame expert Brene Brown shows us through her book Daring Greatly that we all deal with shame at one point in our lives. In order to find courage, we need to face into our vulnerability.
- Control is an illusion that hides us from the truth of shame. Shame prevents us from becoming courageous.
What steps can we take to find courage?
- The first step is realize that we are imperfect. Imperfection is not wrong or bad. Those who are around those that accept their imperfections can tell that person has something that most of us don’t have.
- Embrace that we are born with significance and worthy of it.
- We never need power or control as they are just symptoms of shame.
- To see ourselves as awesome just as we are.
If you are interested in having Hector speak to your group or you want to find more information out about Hector, he can be reached through:
- Cell: 612-309-1264
- Email: Hector.Matascastillo@gmail.com
As always, I appreciate you taking time to listen to our shows and read our blogs. You can find all of our shows on listed on Stitcher and iTunes under The Iron Jen show. If you are enjoying our blogs and/or podcasts, I would be appreciative if you took a moment to share with others.
*Photo courtesy of Nick Webb under Flickr Creative Commons-licensed content
Read Hector’s guest post: Using Vulnerability to Gain Courage
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP TEAMS / EVENT COORDINATORS: I would love to serve your speaker needs…click HERE to learn how I can serve you.