Many folks in the United States enjoy deep frying turkeys this time of year, however this 2 minute video demonstrates how a turkey can turn into a fireball in 3 seconds.
Here are some quick facts that may be worth sharing with anyone planning to deep fry a turn this year:
- When heated enough, cooking oil is just as flammable as gasoline according to St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard.
- In 2016 in MN, 70 residential fires were reported over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend — many of them started in the kitchen.
- Make sure your turkey fully thawed and dry before dunking it into the fryer.
- ~50 patients a year are treated at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, MN for grease burns that are primarily from cooking.
- Always set your fryer on a flat, level surface and take care not to use too much oil — if some sloshes out, the burner will ignite it.
- Never use a fryer indoors, including garages, on decks, or leave it unattended.
- You should always use temperature controls to prevent the oil from overheating and igniting.
Thank you to the MN DPS, St. Paul Fire Department, Regions and all those involved in putting together this great video as it is sure to help many.